The Marriage Mentor Initiative
The Marriage Mentor Initiative (MMI) was founded in 1999 by Drs. Les and Leslie Parrott, psychologist and marriage and family therapist. The Parrott and the MMI team have developed an Online Marriage Mentor Certification Program to train and equip marriage mentors for mentoring couples who are (1) preparing for lifelong love, (2) in distress, and (3) moving from good to great. Online Certification
Definition of Marriage Mentoring is a relatively happy, more-experienced couple purposely investing in another couple to effectively navigate a journey they have already taken.
The mission of MMI is to :
- Educate the world about Marriage Mentoring as a primary tool to build better marriages
- Equip the world with the tools to be effective Marriage Mentors
- Nurture the Marriage Mentor Community to create a fun, continuous-learning community.
By linking experienced married couples with less-experienced married couples, the mentoring relationship helps marriages thrive on both sides of the equation (the mentors and the mentorees).
The Marriage Mentor Certification Program is available in two different training formats:
1. The Marriage Mentor DVD Kit
- 9 session Marriage Mentor Training and Recruiting DVD
- Hardcover edition of The Complete Guide to Marriage Mentoring
- Marriage Mentoring Leader's Guide
- Soft cover edition of 51 Creative Ideas for Marriage Mentors
- Marriage Mentoring Training Manual for Husbands
- Marriage Mentoring Training Manual for Wives
2. Online Marriage Mentor Certification: The mentor couple is also able to take the Marriage Mentor Certification Course online. See MarriageMentorSite.com.
A sampling of MMI resources for mentors and small groups include the following:
Engaged and Newlywed Couples
- Saving Your Marriage Before It Starts Book and Workbooks
- Saving Your Second Marriage Before It Starts Book and Workbooks
Maximizing Good Marriages
Assessments for mentors to use with their mentorees
Click here to find the Marriage Mentor web community. The community site offers special material updates, forums, community chats, webinars and newsletters. There are downloads for the Marriage Champions to begin a Marriage Mentor Program in their church. There is a video library with valuable information for the mentor couple to gain insight about specific topics and how to navigate these topics in the mentoring process. MMI is presently working on a launch and implementation guide for beginning a Marriage Mentor Program.
If you have questions about this Marriage Mentor Certification or are interested in beginning a Marriage Mentor Program, please contact the National Program Director, via the contact us form.